Friday, June 11, 2010

The Gun on the Wall

This blog is a record of voicemails from my boss, as transcribed by Google Voice's voicemail transcription. Sometimes hilarious, always confusing. I was tempted to post more accurate translations, but I'd hate for it to lose the mystery.

The name of the blog is a reference to Chekhov's Gun, which, according to wikipedia is...
the literary technique whereby an element is introduced early in the story, but its significance does not become clear until later on. For example, a character may find a mysterious object that eventually becomes crucial to the plot, but at the time the object is found it does not seem to be important.

Once, my boss (who, I should explain, has a decently thick accent) was trying to explain that he expected an event to happen because of "the gun on the wall." He told us that. "if there's a gun on the wall, you're going to get shot." At this point, we were confused and frightened that one us might get shot. I didn't know where the gun was, I didn't know which wall it was on.

Months later, while eating breakfast, I finally figured out what he was trying to say. When asked about it, he, of course, had denied the whole thing had taken place.

I'll remove the name of my boss from all of the posts (it transcribes perfectly every time) as well as any co-workers or sensitive work-related data. Of course, if you can't tell what he was talking about anyway, I just leave it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment